In the modern digital world, migration to cloud computing is not only necessary but also unavoidable. Database on cloud migration can look simple from the outside, but many details need to be considered. It requires lots of planning, preparation, and testing to ensure success. It enables you to run any combination of these workloads with open standards-based security and compliance across your hybrid environment – all delivered as a single service.
Why Migrate On-Premises Databases to DB2 On Cloud?
For many companies and use cases, the question isn’t if the data will ever be stored in the cloud but when. Although there may be certain applications and types of data that will be kept on-premises for a long time to come, the benefits of cloud computing in terms of agility, elasticity, and cost are becoming increasingly attractive. Meanwhile, cloud security, both in terms of regulation and in terms of technical implementations, such as VPN tunnels into private cloud networks, makes rapid advances. As a result, cloud data is growing exponentially.
Migrating to IBM DB2 On Cloud can help you to take advantage of our managed cloud service for your business data and free up valuable resources on site.
Techniques to Migrate On-Premises Databases to DB2 On Cloud · Load data from a desktop (Using #Bluemix interface).
- Load data from a SoftLayer swift object store (Using #Bluemix interface).
- Load data from Amazon S3 (Using #Bluemix interface).
- Use the DB2 data movement utilities, remotely.
- Use the IBM data migration service (25 to 100TB).
- Use the IBM Mass Data migration service (100 TB or more).
Migrating Data from Db2 On-Premises System to Db2 On Cloud
To migrate your data from your Db2 on-premises system, you can use the suitable method to migrate your data based on the size of your data set:
- Less than 25 TB of data: IBM Lift CLI
- 25 TB of data and greater: IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration
IBM Lift CLI
A data property on the IBM Cloud enables you to move large data sets quickly, securely, and reliably from your on-premises database or data source. Lift is a highly efficient data transport tool that moves data to the cloud with speeds over 10x faster than traditional migration tools. With integrated IBM Aspera, Lift enables ultra-high-speed data movement to the cloud. Using a push-data model, Lift offers an extremely flexible bulk data loader that is driven by a CLI. When migration problems arise, such as connection timeouts, it automatically recovers. IBM Cloud data is transmitted over a 256-bit encrypted connection to ensure complete security. As with all cloud services, Lift behaves similarly. Once you install the product, you will automatically receive updates.
IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration
IBM Cloud. Mass Data Migration is a portable storing device with 120 TB of usable storing capacity to speed up migrating data to the IBM Cloud. A quick, easy, safe approach to physically migrate terabytes to petabytes of data to the IBM Cloud. Defeat common migration challenges like high expenses, transfer times, and safety concerns – all in one service.
Security Aspect while Migrating
When migrating, encryption with AES or 3DES is recommended. TLS and SSL are the preferred methods for securing data in transit. Let’s also take a look at how DB2’s native encryption works:
- Using SSL, the client asks for cipher suite support (AES, 3DES).
- A digital certificate that contains a public key is then sent by the server along with the selected cipher suite.
- When a certificate is valid, a session key and message authentication code (MAC) are sent back to the server encrypted with the public key.
- An acknowledgment is sent by the server to allow the client to start an encrypted session once the session key and message authentication code have been decrypted
- Server and client securely interchange data utilizing the session key and MAC selected.
The Db2 on cloud migration process can be very difficult, but with the right tools and proper knowledge, it can be done easily.